Purchasing of a Firearm

The first question you need to ask yourself is “Do I need to purchase a firearm?”  No.  Licenced shooters do not need to purchase their own firearm. You can use the firearms available to the members of the Pine Rivers Shooting Club Inc.  When booking via the Competition Shoot Registration Form just let us know what firearm you would like to shoot and we will have the appropriate firearm & ammunition available for you for the event.

If you have now decided you want to purchase a firearm you need to consider safe storage of the firearm and ammunition. The storage requirements are as follows:

“In a locked container constructed of solid steel”


To purchase a firearm, you will need a Permit to Acquire (PTA) from Queensland Police Service Weapons Licencing. You will also need to meet the following conditions before applying for a PTA:

  1. You have been a member of the Pine Rivers Shooting Club for at least six (6) months
  2. You have received your Category H licence
  3. You know the action and calibre of firearm you want to acquire
  4. You have an authorisation letter from the Pine Rivers Shooting Club.

Follow the steps below to apply for a PTA:

  1. Collect the following information for the Pine Rivers Shooting Club’s authorisation letter:
  • Personal Details
  • Your Pine Rivers Shooting Club’s Member number
  • Category H licence number
  • Category H licence expiry date
  • Action of the firearm (i.e. Revolver, Semi-auto)
  • Class of firearm (i.e. Class C centrefire greater than .44, Class B centrefire less than .44; D rimfire pistol)
  • Calibre of firearm
  • Approved discipline (i.e. Target, C-Class Metal Silhouette, Metal Silhouette)

2. Apply for a Pine Rivers Shooting Club authorisation letter here

3. Once you have received the Pine Rivers Shooting Club’s letter, complete your Permit to Acquire online

4. Your PTA will either be mailed to you or the firearms dealer

5. Buy your first Category H firearm

Please Note:

Within the first 12 months as a new licensed Category H shooter, you are allowed either one of the following:

  • Rimfire .22 firearm
  • Centerfire pistol .38, 9mm, .44 firearm

When you apply for your Category H Licence you will receive an email from Weapons Licencing with a Case ID number. You can put a deposit on a firearm at this stage but you will not be able to pick it up until you have your licence and PTA.

It is advised that you do not apply for a PTA until you have received your licence.

Some exceptions apply, refer to QPS website for full conditions.